The 2022 college wrestling national championships are over … but the great...
Training Technique: Romanian Deadlifts
Training Techniques: Romanian Deadlifts
By Scott Goodpaster
RDL (Romanian Deadlift) is one of the best traditional exercises around for general strength. RDL’s strengthen the hamstrings, glutes, low back, and a wrestlers grip. The posterior chain is often neglected, but is essential for top performance as well as injury prevention. RDL’s develop excellent suplex and pick-up abilities. RDL’s will have your hamstrings screaming the next couple of days after.
- It’s imperative to maintain a lordotic posture throughout the movement
- Keep focal point straight ahead
- Make sure to hinge at the hips
- Facilitate a slight knee bend
- Lower the bar as far as good technique and strength allows
- During the Hypertrophy phase reps should be between 8-15, during the strength phase reps should be between 3-6
(Scott Goodpaster, CSCS, is the Director of Cincinnati Functional Fitness, an MMA Certified Strength & Conditioning coach and nationally recognized in the field of strength & conditioning for wrestlers.)