The 2022 college wrestling national championships are over … but the great...
2021 NCAA Div. I Championship Notes – 141 pounds
The following are notes about the 141-pound weight class at the 2021 NCAA Division I
Championships that will take place March 18-20 in St. Louis.
- #1 Jaydin Eierman (Iowa) pinned #9 Dresden Simon (Central Michigan) 3:49 — The Hawkeye made his 100th career victory a memorable one when he used his only takedown of the match into an inside cradle and fall against the Chippewa.
- #4 Tariq Wilson (NC State) dec. #21 Real Woods (Stanford) 3-1 — The Wolfpack wrestler earned his third All-American round by scoring the bout’s only takedown with four seconds left in the second period.
- #3 Sebastian Rivera (Northwestern) dec #6 Allan Hart (Missouri), 7-3 — The Tiger jumped out to a 2-0 lead off a takedown midway through the first period before the Scarlet Knight battled back with two takedowns — one in each the first and second periods — before adding a riding time point.
- #2 Nick Lee (Penn State) major dec. #10 Zach Sherman (North Carolina), 11-3 — The Nittany Lion scored two of his four takedowns in the first period, when he also added a two-point nearfall to lead 6-1 heading into the second frame.
Second Round Notes
- Stanford’s Real Woods, seeded just No. 21, scored this weight’s biggest upset when the Cardinal sophomore beat Oklahoma’s No. 5 Dom Demas, 5-1 in sudden victory when he scored a takedown near the edge of the mat where Woods added two more back points.
- Iowa’s top-seed Jaydin Eierman got scare from Pitt’s Cole Matthews before the Hawkeye prevailed 5-3. After a scoreless first round, Eierman scored the bout’s only takedown to lead 3-1 before the Panther scored a reversal with 1:17 left in the third, to tie the bout 3-3.