The Dan Hodge Trophy, considered the Heisman Trophy for amateur wrestling, has been presented to the nation’s best wrestler since 1995.
Created by W.I.N. founder Mike Chapman, the award is named after the former three-time University of Oklahoma national champion (1955-57) who never allowed a takedown in his college career. He also pinned 36 of his 46 victims.
To see features on each Hodge Trophy winner, click on their name below.
All-Time Dan Hodge Trophy Winners
- Year Name School
- 2013 Kyle Dake Cornell
- 2012 David Taylor Penn State
- 2011 Jordan Burroughs Nebraska
- 2010 Jayson Ness Minnesota
- 2009 Jake Herbert Northwestern
- 2008 Brent Metcalf Iowa
- 2007 Ben Askren Missouri
- 2006 Ben Askren Missouri
- 2005 Steve Mocco Oklahoma State
- 2004 Emmett Willson Mont. St.-Northern
- 2003 Eric Larkin Arizona State
- 2002 Cael Sanderson Iowa State
- 2001 Cael Sanderson Iowa State
- 2001 Nick Ackerman Simpson College
- 2000 Cael Sanderson Iowa State
- 1999 Stephen Neal Cal State Bakersfield
- 1998 Mark Ironside Iowa
- 1997 Kerry McCoy Penn State
- 1996 Les Gutches Oregon State
- 1995 T.J. Jaworsky North Carolina
Criteria for the award includes a wrestler’s record, number of pins, dominance on the mat, past credentials, quality of competition, sportsmanship/citizenship and heart.